Pregnancy 16 Weeks
Colostrum (Mother’s First Breast Milk)
You are in your 16th week of pregnancy and are now producing Mother’s first breast milk, colostrum. Colostrum is thick and clear to bright yellow in color. It is low in volume but full of wonderful things that your baby needs. It is the only food your baby needs for the first few days.
- Protects your infant against infection and diseases
- The World Health Organization calls colostrum “Babies First Immunization”
- Is high in protein (16 times more protein than in formula)
- Reduces your baby’s risk of becoming jaundiced
- Is easy for your baby to digest
If you are in labor and it is after business hours, please call a WomanCare office that you visit and the physician on call will be notified.
If you have a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 immediately.
This publication is intended as a reference only and not as medical advice. The information that is provided herein is designed to help inform you with regard to your pregnancy. Your health care provider does not intend it to be used as a substitute for treatment, advice or recommendations.