Choosing the Right OBGYN: Exploring Areas of Specialty

Womens health care encompasses many different aspects, and an OBGYN is the general term for a doctor specializing in this field of study. However, there are a number of specialized branches of womens health care that can be exceedingly helpful for certain reproductive issues. Before deciding which type of OBGYN specialists you need to see, it’s important to have an understanding of what they each do. Here’s a quick rundown of some of the specialized areas of gynecology and obstetrics.


As we discussed, an OBGYN offers a wide range of womens health services. They specialize in pregnancy, reproductive health, and childbirth, and some offer general health services like a primary care doctor would. OBGYNs also provide medical screenings and routine preventative care.

“The term “OB-GYN” can refer to the doctor, an obstetrician-gynecologist, or to the sciences that the doctor specializes in, which are obstetrics and gynecology…OB-GYNs can conduct office visits, perform surgery, and assist with labor and delivery. Some OB-GYNs provide services through a solo or private practice. Others do so as part of a larger medical group or hospital,” writes Kellie Walsh on 

Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility

Approximately 44% of women with infertility have sought medical assistance. Of those who seek medical intervention, approximately 65% give birth. Many of those seeking medical assistance for reproductive issues to go this type of endocrinologist, which can address multiple issues related to fertility. They can perform procedures based on reproductive health, like in vitro fertilization, embryo transfers, and gamete/zygote intrafallopian transfers.

Maternal-Fetal Medicine

Specialists in this field typically work with high-risk patients and pregnancies. Women typically visit this type of specialist if they experience conditions like gestational high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, blood-clotting disorders, or premature labor.

Female Pelvic Medicine/Reproductive Surgery

Finally, specialists in this field typically treat women with UTIs. They focus on the area beneath a woman’s pelvis, called the pelvic floor. Specialists in this field can treat issues like urinary or fecal incontinence, bladder pain, overactive bladder, and pelvic organ prolapse.

If you’re not sure which type of specialist you need to see, that’s okay. We provide the best OBGYN specialists who can lead you in the right direction. To work with the best OBGYN in all of Chicago, contact WomanCare PC today.

Review Us

Leave Us a Review at Your WomanCare Location


Arlington Heights Office

1051 West Rand Road Suite 101
Arlington Heights, IL 60004

Buffalo Grove Office

15 S. McHenry Rd, 4th Floor,
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089

Schaumburg Office

1051 Perimeter Dr, Suite 150,
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Kildeer Office

21481 N Rand Rd, 2nd Floor,
Kildeer, IL 60047